I spent most of this week exploring Florence, and managed to get lost a few times. While I was wandering around, I came up with this post idea. Enjoy!
1. Even though Florence is a smaller city, you will get lost in the first few weeks. Know that now, and you will feel better when you’re panicking at 11 PM trying to find your way home.
2. You are terrible at reading maps. Stop trying to make sense of them and go ask someone in a cafe. Trust me.
3. The wifi is spotty here, stop trying to use Google Maps in the middle of the street. It will not work, no matter how hard you hit the refresh button.
4. When someone says look for an landmark, make sure they’re specific about what landmark they are talking about. Florence is old, and almost every building looks like it could be a landmark.
5. Give yourself enough time to get places, otherwise you’ll be running around frantically looking for where you’re supposed to go.
6. Vespas and cars will park ON the curb, not next to it. They also will not stop for you, even when you have the right of way.
7. Bikes will also park on the street, and you will run into them. Frequently.
8. When you get lost, don’t stare at a map in the middle of the street, you will look like a desperate tourist, and people will try to sell you things.
9. Wear comfortable shoes. I cannot say this enough. WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES. Also, keep Band-Aids on you at all times, you WILL need them,
10. Getting lost in Florence is one of the best things that will happen to you. You are lost in a beautiful city on a once-in-a lifetime trip. Take the time to explore your surroundings, you won’t regret it.